Sunday, April 6, 2008

What up?!

Ok, I know it's been a long time since my last post (about 1month to be exact). I know that there has been lots of activity, but since I'm trying to get something up tonigth, I'm going to have to look through my latest pics tomorrow. I promise to put some up soon.

Regarding grad school, I wound up getting in to six of the seven school I applied to. Unfortunately, only one offered me a scholarship, but there's a chance I could still get one from my other top choices. After reviewing all of our options once again, we narrowed the field down to our top 4 (in no particular order): U of Utah, UC Boulder, ASU, & U of Arizona. As of last Monday, I have visited all of the schools. Utah back in January, ASU when I interview there 3 weeks ago, Arizona well, I did attend school there, and Colorado last weekend with Norm. All appear to have great programs with 2 of them having newer facilities than the others. Arizona offered me a practically full tuition scholarship (very tempting). They all want to know if I'm going to attend their program by the 15th of this month (actually, Colorado's deadline was last Friday). Because of our situation, I'm going to have to lead a few schools on. I don't really like having to do it, but there's no other way. I've talked with each of them and they're all very adimate about wanting to know by this month and not giving me any sort of extension (except for ASU, who has given me an additional month) Norm is pursuing job opportunites at this time and hopefully within the month, we will have a much better idea of where we're going to end up. Currently, Colorado looks to be the likely favorite due to location (we think it would be fun to live there) but the first year of tuition may kill us unless some financial aid appears (fingers crossed, I'm 3rd on the wait list for $ from the department otherwise it'll be a student loan). I'll keep you all posted - as I told a friend of mine, come August I'll know where I'll be going to school. Keep us in your prayers as we make this decision.

As I mention before, Norm & I traveled up to Boulder, CO last weekend so that I could visit their program. We left the kids with Grandma Fran (many, many, many thanks) and they had a fun time. We drove all day on Saturday. It's about a 13 hr drive, but we made it in 12 (it really didn't seem that long to me), thanks to packing our own lunch & eating in the car. It's also amazing how long 2 grown-ups can go without have to take a potty stop (thanks again Fran for keeping the kids, I couldn't imagine the drive with them). We were able to explore the area on Sunday. The area reminded me of Seattle with the amount of trees and green around. The trees were just forming their new leaves & I spotted some tulips & daffodils in peoples yards. We did get a dusting of snow on two of the nights were were there, just an inch or two. The clouds were low, so we didn't see much of the Rockies, but Tuesday it cleared out and we got a nice view. Monday I visited the Speech, Language, & Hearing Department. They had an Open House for everyone considering their SLP & AuD programs. It turned out that in a group of about 30 people there were only 2 of us future audiologists that came out (5 had RSVP'd). It made it nice to get to know the professors, clinical instructors, & current students. Lots of one-on-one time. We drove home Tuesday and the drive seemed to last a very long time. Usually going home seems faster to me (so maybe Colorado is supposed to be our home ;-)

Let's see, what's the latest on the kids? Rachel is enjoying school as always. She's learning new words each day and is excited to read books to anyone who'll listen. Andrew is keeping us all on our toes. He earned his Bobcat at last months cub scout pack meeting and will get his first bead at this one. He's looking forward to his 2nd grade music program because he has a speaking part. Cory is on the middle school track & field team. He has practices every day and is really excited about it all. He had his first meet last Thursday and he did the long jump, shot put, & 440. This Saturday is a big meet for all the area schools and he's been invited to do the long jump & shot put. He's been training with Norm to improve his shot put skills. He wants to lift weights so that he can get buff like the 8th graders.

Love to all!

1 comment:

aquabatgirl said...

picturing skinny little cory lifting weights makes me laugh! make sure to post pictures when he gets all those buff muscles ;)
it sounds like grad school decisions are keeping you busy. we'll keep you in our prayers (everyone i have talked to that have lived, visited colorado loves it and wants to go back)